Maharishi Foundation International (MFI) is a US-registered non-profit that supports the development of new technologies and outreach opportunities for the worldwide Transcendental Meditation® (TM®) organizations. Over the past 60 years, more than 10 million people worldwide have learned the TM technique through personal instruction by tens of thousands of certified teachers.
MFI is a growing, fully remote team of over 50 people, located around the globe but mainly in North America and Europe. As an organization we are committed to leveraging modern technology and progressive management practices to make the TM technique and its related programmes more available to people everywhere.
We favor a healthy and balanced work environment with opportunities for personal development.
We are seeking an organized, analytical, and proactive Finance Manager to join our team to take responsibility for day-to-day financial operations. This role is vital to the smooth running of the organization so that we can make progress towards our goals. The position is reporting to the CFO directly and is part of a broader global finance team.
The scope of this role goes from daily and monthly recurring tasks to more senior level responsibilities such as assisting with our annual budgeting, reporting on financial performance, working with auditors annually, ensuring compliance on tax and regulatory matters with the IRS, and proactively seeing opportunities to help the organization improve our financial operations over time.
You are impeccably organized, attentive to details, highly motivated and keen to take responsibility for your area. You understand the importance of your role and function to the organization as a whole and are excited and positive about how you can contribute to our progress as an organization.
Ideally, you have experience in a similar role in a US-registered 501(3)(c) non-profit before, so have strong awareness of compliance and practical requirements of this kind of legal entity in relation to finance matters.
- Bookkeeping and timely maintaining of the structure and integrity of the accounting records and system
- Obtain proper approvals and ensure timely recording of journal entries
- Ensure accounts reconcile with statements and other supporting documents
- Accrual management
- A/R and A/P processes are periodically reviewed, timely reports and KPIs are being followed
- Review periodically the integrity of payroll system
- Approve the monthly payroll ensuring timely payment of all payroll taxes
Accounts Receivable and Payable
- Timely invoicing and support for our customers
- Vendor management: approving and ensuring proper payment and up-to-date information
- Timely reports for management decisions
- Maintain the integrity of payroll system with up-to-date employee/contractor information
- Preparing, getting approval for and actioning monthly payroll for our team
- Timely preparation and filing of payroll taxes
- Liaising with our banks and credit card companies
- Daily cash tracking, recording and reporting
- Set timely ACH, wire transfers for employees, contractors and other vendors
- Ensure cash and online transactions follow strict secure protocols and approvals
Audit and Tax
- Ensuring full compliance with all US state and federal tax and employment requirements (monthly/quarterly/annual submission and reports)
- Working with our external 990 Federal tax filing preparers and accounting auditors each year - answering their queries, gathering pertinent information for them from across the organization
- Prepare monthly reports comparing budget-to-actual and noting progress towards various KPIs
- Propose updates to accounting/finance structure to reflect business needs
- Maintain state/federal registrations for payroll taxes
- Advise on employment and foreign contractor issues
- Renew HRA subscription
- Ensure proper records retention policies are met
- Working with our various insurance providers and consultants to maintain appropriate coverages and timely renewals
- Managing accounting system access
- Seeing opportunities to improve what we do and how we do it from a finance administration point of view, making proposals for how to change, and actioning such changes once approved
- Budgeting, tracking and reporting for specific projects and events
- Managing and tracking donor restricted funds
- Preparing and sending donation acknowledgements
Skills and Qualifications
- 5 years experience working in a similar role with a US entity
- Degree in finance and/or accounting
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license or working towards it is a plus
- Thorough understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Analytical thinker with strong conceptual and problem-solving skills
- Meticulous attention to detail with superb organizational skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent report-writing and communication skills
- Solid proficiency in accounting and financial software
- Experience working in a global non-profit, working with a remote team or in a multinational organization preferred
- Fluency in English (written and verbal)
If you are passionate about this work but do not have all of the skills listed we are still interested in speaking with you and encourage you to apply!
Pay and benefits
Our pay levels are set according to a formula that combines above-median market rate data for the role (we pay 55th percentile of New York market rate for this role, based on Payscale data) adjusted for your local cost of living based on Numbeo data.
We take the issue of equitable pay very seriously, and we apply our pay formula to all workers who work 80% or more of full time hours with us.
Diversity and inclusion
We care about diversity - we strive to ensure all of our team feel included and can bring their whole selves to work but we also know that this work is never ‘done’ or complete, and that we can always improve.
Our team is fully remote, living and working across 20 countries across the world, and we’d love to hear how you can add to our special culture at MFI.