We are looking for a Content Editor to contribute to the ongoing growth and optimization of our legal article database. With over 1M+ visitors to the UpCounsel website per month, this role will play a pivotal part in updating existing content and creating new content.
Any potential candidate must be a skilled editor who writes clear, concise, and easy to understand copy. Your grammar is near perfect, and you do not use passive voice. You have a track record of producing work that builds audiences and fills pipelines with qualified leads. You are someone who "gets" marketing and focuses on revenue generation, not vanity traffic; driving sign ups and demos with content is a core competency.
The ideal candidate must also be familiar with SEO fundamentals and basics, not needing to be an SEO expert (technical SEO will not be a part of your job) but needing to have a working knowledge of on page SEO to take on this role. Additionally, the candidate must understand search intent, be able to create content briefs to guide writers and be able to manage a team of writers to ensure content quality.
You go beyond keywords. You can put yourself in the shoes of the customer and brief content so it speaks to their needs and pain, not just the search terms they are plugging in. You are comfortable and have experience both creating briefs for new content and for updating existing content that’s gotten old and gone stale.
- Gain a very deep understanding of content projects and act as an orchestrator that connects the dots.
- Define how different content is connected/interlinked to each other.
- Be in regular communication with all content strategy team members and have a pulse on content strategy operations.
- Know what all team members are working on, when their work is due, what's next, and who's blocked — at all times.
- Take ownership of overall content quality.
- Ensure that content created by different writers is consistent.
- Ensure that content is created according to the briefs provided.
- Regularly provide feedback to writers to refine their process.
Editing & Proofreading
- Be the goalkeeper and make edits before publishing final drafts.
- Ensure that technical requirements are met.
- Headlines are used properly, images displayed properly (including meta image thumbnails), etc.
- Ensure that content matches user intent.
- Refresh existing content pieces using SEO optimization tools like Surferseo or Clearscope.
- Every week you will create 5 content briefs + editing 5 articles + Proofreading 10 + Publishing 10.
- We are big on focus, accountability, and autonomy. Everyone works in a self-directed manner, and workdays are typically filled with bursts of focused work, with short, impactful meetings (mainly 1:1s) mixed in.
- You've owned and documented internal processes before. Additionally, you have trained new hires on how to execute on those processes using your documentation and 1:1 coaching.
- You have interviewed & hired candidates before and feel comfortable evaluating candidates for a role after one or two calls.
- Content strategy (writing + editing) is your jam.
- Creative, but business minded.
- Intuitively understands the purchase journey and the role content plays in it.
- Self-starter, deadline driven.
- Independent worker.
- Good communicator, both written and spoken.
- A Bias Towards Action:
- You move quickly.
- You get stuff done.
- You are a producer.
- Paragraphs are edited in minutes, not hours.
- Familiar with the basics of HTML and have a passion for detail.
Salary range: 30-45K USD