Remote Full-Stack Web Developer
Etch (Remote) 🇺🇦
Etch is looking for UK-based candidates with industry experience from a product or agency background.
We work closely with teams from established brands to design web-based tools and services. Using a Lean approach we create Design Systems, APIs, Progressive Web Apps, and partner with clients to improve their businesses over time.
In our tenth year, we’re hiring another technically-minded maker who is looking to apply their skills across Front and Back End development.
About the job
We believe the best results are achieved when people are given the time to truly understand the problem they are solving. We don’t have dedicated sales people or project managers, so our whole team is involved from start to finish. We take our time to dig into the detail, before working together to decide on features to design and how to build them.
There are plenty of opportunities to be involved at every stage in a project, to expand your knowledge of how products take shape – from inception to execution.
As a full-stack developer at Etch, you’ll be scoping out new apps and features, building front-end components, scaffolding GraphQL APIs and terraforming new servers. If there’s an area that particularly interests you, you’ll have the freedom to dig in and become the team expert.
As a distributed team, we’re not always in the same place at the same time. Great written communication is key – documentation and planning are part of the day-to-day.
Here’s some work we’ve completed in 2022 to give you a sense of what you’ll be doing:
- Created a design system to help a pet insurance company rebrand its touchpoints.
- Worked on an internationalisation project, for a crowdfunding company, to improve their sign-up process and prepare for a launch in Europe.
- Built a public GraphQL API for a Recycling organisation, that will be consumed by companies and local authorities around the UK.
- Conducted a security audit for a financial startup.
- Prototyped a new quote journey for a travel insurance brand.
- Shipped another new feature on a study planning app that we built 5 years ago for a global accountancy body.
- Became members of the UI and Accessibility Council at one of our clients.
- Gave a talk about Design Systems at a client’s conference.
- Met up in the countryside for pub walks and axe throwing.
- Arranged a team trip to Amsterdam for a 2-day conference.
If you’re interested in the end-to-end process of building web software with experienced teammates, then this is the place for you.
Why work at Etch?
Each member of the team has an equal voice on where we go and how we get there. Over the years, we’ve tried to create an environment that enables our best work, whilst balancing a healthy lifestyle. These are the key ingredients:
- Think long-term – Learn, refine, and improve products (think years, not months).
- Belonging – Etch is committed to making diversity, equity, and inclusion part of everything we do, from how we build products to how we build our team.
- Great tools – Use proven modern technology and frameworks. We’re not on the bleeding edge, but we’re not far behind!
- Remote working – Work from home, or anywhere in the UK with a solid internet connection.
- Flexible hours – Work around life, don’t live around work.
- Quarterly profit shares – Hard work pays off.
- 4-day weeks in the summer – More sunshine and barbecues.
- Paid sabbaticals – Every five years, you get three months of leave to do whatever you want.
- Quarterly team meetups – regular face time to sync and reflect. We gather in a city (London, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Amsterdam) for a few days of good food and shop talk.
How to apply
- Starting salary: £30K - £40K depending on experience
- Experience: A minimum of 2 years industry experience with a product or agency background.
- We’re keen to hear about your previous experience, the skills you can bring to the team, and which aspect of software interests you the most.
- Applications will be accepted until 17th June 2022.
- Send us an email with the subject of "I'd like to work at Etch" (so that our inbox filters it) and include your favourite gif.
- Due to the number of applications we receive, we can’t respond to everyone, but we will contact the short-listed candidates by 30th June 2022.