Silverorange is a design and development agency based in Canada. When pursuing work, we focus on interesting and meaningful projects. Over our 22 years as a company, we've worked with well-known technology organizations like Duolingo and Mozilla, not-for-profit organizations working in areas including arts funding and affordable internet access for low-income families, and with world-renowned doctors training other doctors through online education.
We’re proud of the fantastic products we've built in partnership with our clients and we’re actively invested in the processes behind these products. Within the next 6 months, we expect our team to grow from 32 to 35 people in order to meet the needs for new and existing projects. Our growth is careful and considered, though we have no plans for becoming a large organization. We are committed to fostering a team focused as much on quality of life, openness, empathy, and a supportive work environment as it is on building great user-focused systems.
We’re looking for an Android Native App Developer to join our team. We are open to developers of various experience levels, and ideally you’ll be joining us with at least one prior full-time experience working as a Native App Developer within a team. We favour applicants with a strong sense of ownership over their own work. Excitement and ability to learn and contribute is more important to us than other metrics like years of experience.
You’ll start your silverorange career focused on a medical education client, joining our existing experienced native app developers and helping our goal of building a larger Native App development team for this client and for future projects. You’ll help maintain existing, widely-used Android and iOS native apps, as well as contribute to planning and implementing new features.
This position is available immediately and we will work with you to get you started as soon as possible.
Growth & ownership
Our team is co-operative and will help you learn and expand your skills via mentoring, team-wide support, and learning opportunities. All members of the team are encouraged and given space to grow as individual contributors, and have ongoing opportunities in project and team leadership.
We’re excited to hear your fresh ideas and approach. We have decades of collective experience, and we all continue to become better at what we do by both teaching and learning from each other. Add your voice to our mix.
Opportunity for employee ownership is a fundamental part of silverorange (non-founders currently own more than a third of the company) and we’re currently working on new ways to transfer even more ownership to employees.
Inclusion & diversity
People with different backgrounds and experiences make us stronger, and we’re always looking for ways to improve. Our team is getting more diverse across many dimensions of diversity, but we’re still missing perspectives that could make our work better. We highly encourage people from traditionally underrepresented groups in our industry to apply—we want to add your voice to the mix.
- Implementing features and improvements on a Kotlin-based Android app and an Objective-C- and Swift-based iOS app.
- Reviewing code and content changes from other developers on iOS and Android projects.
- Communicating with team members and clients to understand and balance requirements.
- Identifying and helping to address technical design issues in apps.
- Writing tests for your work.
- Be eligible & available to work from Canada.
- Be able to quickly learn and understand new systems.
- Have experience with Kotlin and/or Java, rSwift and/or Objective-C.
- Have experience with the release process on the App Store and Google Play
- Have experience developing reasonably complex integrated systems.
- Have worked on projects with a team of developers.
- Be able to communicate clearly with clients and co-workers across multiple time zones. Several of our key clients are in California and we have team members in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, as well as Ecuador and the United Kingdom.
While not required, if you have any of the following skills let us know:
- Experience with testing and continuous integration processes.
- User interface and interaction design experience.
- Gradle / R8 experience in Android development.
- Working with media playback and data synchronization
- Working with Google Cloud Firestore's Firebase product.
- Experience with reactive programming using Apple’s Combine, or RxJava
- Project or product leadership experience in any profession or industry.
- Elasticsearch querying and indexing.
Remote working is just as good as local
Our team has been remote-friendly for over 20 years, and remote-first for the last 8. We continue to improve our approach to having a dispersed team. Due to COVID-19 this position will start as full-time remote regardless of location, though you are welcome to work from our lovely offices in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada once they are re-opened.
Over half of our team is full-time remote and 95% of our clients are remote. You’ll need to be comfortable working with a remote team regardless of your location.
Typically all employees spend at least one week each year working from our Charlottetown office so plan on visiting PEI semi-regularly once you feel safe traveling.
Though you may be working remotely, you’ll be an active member of a great and small but growing team, both here at silverorange and with our clients. Regular voice or video communication will help keep you in touch with the smart people with whom you’ll be working.
Benefits & compensation
- Flexible work days, approached collaboratively with you to allow for the realities of appointments, family minding, and your everyday life.
- 3 weeks of paid vacation, on top of 10 paid days of civic holidays, and 3 weeks of paid company-wide shut down.
- Generous health and dental coverage, with 100% of premium covered by silverorange.
- New computer hardware every 3 years, and other tools as needed.
- Yearly company-wide bonuses based on overall company success, plus ownership opportunities and dividends for long-term employees.
- Salaries based on experience starting at CAD $59,000-67,500 per year for those earlier in their career and CAD $82,500-94,500 per yea per year for more senior candidates, with both annual company wide salary band adjustments as well as opportunities and expectation of ongoing career and compensation growth.
- Additional remote worker salary add-on of CAD $3,000 per year and a wellness salary add-on of $500 per year.
How to apply
Email us at job-ggHTO3md9ok@gainful.io with the subject line “Native App Developer”, a brief overview of your qualifications, links to relevant examples of recent work (GitHub or an equivalent profile is a great place to start), and an explanation of why you’d be great for the job. Tell us about an interesting project you’ve worked on or helped ship.
We want people to feel they can be their genuine selves at work, so we’d love to hear about who you are. If there is anything else you would like to share with us — i.e. a Medium or Twitter account, online writing or select blog posts, etc. — please feel free to include those as well.
If you require accommodations at any phase of the application or interview process, please let us know by email. We would be happy to support you and discuss accommodations as required.