Moving is considered one of the most stressful events in a person’s life.
Our goal at moveBuddha is to simplify that process and give people peace of mind that their move will go smoothly.
As a rails engineer, you will be in charge of managing our infrastructure and application in addition to driving our architecture strategy.
You’ll immerse yourself in our business strategy and ensure we’re meeting the technical needs of the business, our team, and our users.
A glimpse at your day as our Rails Engineer
In this role, you’ll immerse yourself in our platform and own the code that is deployed. On day-to-day, this might include tasks such as:
- Analyzing application performance metrics and proposing optimizations
- Monitoring for errors and applying bug fixes with regression tests
- Working with the project manager, content team, and frontend developers to empower them to create engaging and helpful content for our users
- Integrating with our moving partner CRMs
- Reviewing pull requests
- Evaluating needs and engineering new systems
- Working with the VP of Engineering to propose and discuss architectural and technical solutions
As our ideal candidate, you…
- Are detail-oriented. You understand the project requirements and are able to provide a reliable technical solution delivered in a reasonable amount of time.
- Get excited about writing tests. You understand the importance of good test coverage and are never in such a hurry that you leave this step out of your process or planning.
- Write elegant but readable code. You appreciate elegant code so long as it is easy enough for another developer to understand and extend it.
- Can estimate your time well. It’s not the easiest thing to do but being able to provide reasonable time estimates for deliverables is critical to our success.
- Work well with others. You have an uncanny ability to propose technical solutions in layman terms and are patient with others that are not as technically inclined.
A few more things…
The benefits of working as our Rails Engineer
- You’ll work closely with content, SEO, design and frontend development teams to shape the future of our platform
- RoR best practices
- Be part of a lean, fast-growing team where you can have an impact on growth and innovation
- Improve and refine your skills as an experienced engineer
- Gain in-depth knowledge of cutting-edge SEO and content marketing strategies
What Success looks like
This role presents an opportunity to grow quickly and contribute to the long-term success of our technical strategy. Growth will look different for each candidate, but here is a timeline of what you can expect the success of this role to look like:
- 1 month in: You’ve familiarized yourself with our codebase and infrastructure and can deploy changes to our staging and production environment. You have a fully working development environment with all passing tests.
- 3 months in: You’re actively participating in kickoff and planning calls providing technical insight and ballpark estimates for the desired business objectives and outcomes. You can identify and track down bug fixes and write regression tests.
6 months in: You have a complete mental model of the application and database and can confidently engineer and implement new solutions, architectures, and integrations as needed.
The values upheld by our Rails Engineer
Bias Toward Action
Prioritize action over prolonged analysis. Strip unnecessary tasks from projects. We learn by doing and adjusting. Speed is our competitive advantage.
Operate Like an Owner
Take initiative and see tasks through to completion. Pay attention to the details and be accountable for results. Treat company resources like your own. Be frugal.
Show up prepared. Actively listen and ask good questions. Give direct feedback with examples. Be generous with praise.
The ideal candidate for this position…
- Has developed Ruby on Rails applications and APIs from the ground up
- Has 3-5 years experience with Ruby on Rails writing elegant, well-organized, performant code with reasonable test coverage
- Has extensive experience with:
- Git (GitHub)
- Preferably has HTML/CSS/ReactJS experience
- Preferably has Stripe integration experience
- Preferably has a bachelor’s degree in computer science (however, it’s not a requirement if you have relevant skills or experience)
The benefits of working at moveBuddha
moveBuddha helps people have a less stressful moving experience by simplifying the process and helping them find the right moving service to suit their needs.
We've helped thousands of people move over the past five years by creating high-quality content that speaks to people who want to simplify their moving process. We’re growing quickly and excited to explore new avenues of content and continue to expand on our content strategies. Learn more about us here: https://gainful.io/jobs/CtREV17yx8w/l/0
We know starting a new job requires taking a leap of faith. We want you to be excited about being part of the moveBuddha team.
Why you’ll love working at moveBuddha
- Growth: We’re a lean yet powerful team and growing quickly. A small team means the opportunity to be involved in multiple projects and learn about different parts of the business.
- Culture: We believe in work-life balance and rewarding hard work in the form of time off, bonuses, company game nights, and other incentives.
- Empowerment: We want to empower our team to grow in their role and take ownership of projects and provide them with the tools and resources they need
- Communication: We don’t believe in micromanaging. We’re looking for team members who can work asynchronously and collaborate across departments.
- Benefits: We offer a competitive salary and consistent opportunities to earn bonuses. moveBuddha has an unlimited PTO policy to encourage a healthy work-life balance.
- Location: We’re a fully remote company based in Athens, Georgia.
moveBuddha asks respectfully to only apply through the application form and not email/apply to them directly. Recruiters and Agencies please do not contact moveBuddha directly.