ConvertKit is a powerful marketing platform built for creators, by creators. We help creators grow and monetize their audience with ease. For coaches, youtubers, authors, podcasters and other creatives, there isn’t a better marketing hub to rely on to grow your audience, automate email marketing, and sell digital products - all within one platform. More importantly, there isn’t a team more committed to helping creators earn a living.
We’re on a mission to help creators earn $1 billion using our creator marketing platform. We have always been 100% independent and 100% remote. We are proud to have built a product that our customers love, and we look for people who have enthusiasm and belief in our mission, vision, and values to join our team.
In the delightful land of ConvertKit, there’s a lawless Data Wild West that has vast untapped potential and is primed for transformation and data domestication. If you possess the adventurous spirit of a data pioneer, the ConvertKit Data and Analytics team could be the place for you to stake your claim as our Senior Analytics Engineer!
You’ll be our data architect, wrangler, law-person, teacher, and general store manager. You will work with our engineers, analysts, and business stakeholders to take our unprocessed data and turn it into a 24-karat, gold-standard data set that anybody can use, in everything from data science research to self-service analysis.
Architect and Wrangler
- Design the Data Model for our Redshift Data Warehouse and wrangle and transform our data so that it’s simple for analysts and business users to do their data things
- Fastidiously document data lineage and gotchas
- Set up and maintain our R environments and other analytic tools for seamless access for analysis and delivery to end-user consumption. This could involve setting up pipelines from R to Redshift, a Shiny Server, and maintaining Docker images
- Channel Merriam-Webster and create, maintain, and make accessible our Data Dictionary
- You believe in community policing - you’re not heavy-handed in insisting it’s your way or the highway. Instead, you listen to folks to build context and then create standards that incorporate what you’ve learned. Because you create collaborative standards, you also teach others to help you enforce the rules.
- Enforce consistent data collection requirements from our application and websites - we currently use Segment to capture much of our website data and extract data from third party data sources
- Catch bad data before it commits any crimes. Outline potential impact if bad data gets through
- Advocate for safe data usage
- Create reproducibility laws like naming conventions, code style guides, project structures
- Ruthlessly hunt down rogue one-off custom queries and analyses and rehabilitate them
- Level-up analysts to think and work like software engineers and increase their efficiency by teaching them things like advanced SQL/R, command line automations, proper Git etiquette, etc.
- Hold regular training and office hour sessions on how to use our reporting tool
- Write quick FAQs and starter guides on how data works at ConvertKit
General Store Manager
- Be the friendly face that owns and runs ConvertKit’s reporting tool (AWS QuickSight), delighting your customers with the data nuggets they uncover
- Create standardized technical and business definitions for our business metadata layer
- Clearly communicate any data issues and resolution steps
- A data pioneer spirit! For you, every untamed SQL query is an opportunity to teach your teammate how to be more effective. Every messy data swamp is something you’d love to drain
- A pirate’s mindset. Not just because you might talk R, but because you’re willing to get curious and question conventional wisdom
- Allergic to one-off data products. You have a visceral reaction towards ad hoc work that’s become permanent and faux-production. You have a compulsive need to build things that are modular and reusable
- Trilingual fluency and translation skills in engineering, data, and business speak
- Comfortable problem solving in public - you’re not afraid to revisit your choices and change course
- Consistent advocacy for data best practices throughout ConvertKit
- Live and breathe dbt or some other transformation and testing platform
- Extensive data modeling experience
- SQL expert
- R or python expertise
- Reverse ETL experience - we currently use a combination of Census and Python
- Help manage our data engineering contractors, particularly in determining what strategic projects they should work on
- GitHub mastery and advocacy - you love getting other people committed to disciplined usage
- Ability to thrive in an ambiguous, fast-paced, and flexible environment with a high degree of autonomy
- Comfortable working in a 100% remote environment
- Have enthusiasm and belief in our mission, vision, and values
Nice But Not Required
- Front end website tracking experience with Segment, Google Tag Manager, and Google Analytics
- Deep AWS ecosystem experience - you’re comfortable with Redshift, Athena, DMS, Glue, QuickSight, etc.
- R expertise. You’re an ardent Tidyverse and Hadley Wickham fan. Using Rmarkdown and Shiny are second nature to you
Pay & Benefits
ConvertKit has standardized salaries based on position, no matter where you live. For Operations team roles we have five levels. For this role, we’re hiring at a level 4 ($165,000). Level is based upon your experience and our interview process.
Other benefits include:
- Profit Sharing - Learn about profit sharing and compensation at ConvertKit
- Four weeks paid vacation per year
- $1,000 yearly vacation bonus for taking five consecutive days of vacation, fully unplugged from work
- Equity in ConvertKit - when you join and when you help us hit company targets
- 401k with a 5% match
- 10 paid holidays a year
- Two weeks of paid sick + mental health and wellbeing time per year
- Up to six weeks of paid bereavement leave, medical leave, and disaster after six months of employment, two weeks of each paid leave in your first six months
- 12 weeks paid parental leave and flexible scheduling in your child’s first year
- $3,000 annual childcare benefit
- Monthly medical benefits up to $1,600 a month toward premiums. Dental and vision premiums covered 100%
- Gender-affirming benefits
- $4,000 equipment allowance for your first two years, $3,000 budget every following two years (US employees only)
- $3,500 annual learning & development budget
- Four-week, paid sabbatical after five years with the team
- The team gathers twice a year for fantastic virtual or in-person retreats
How to Apply
We know that most people hate interviewing (we relate!). We aim to make it as good of an experience as we can, and part of that includes keeping you informed during the process.
Here’s what you can expect from the hiring process for this role:
- Phone screen w/hiring manager
- A short two-hour or less homework assignment
- Homework review conversation with the current data team (two people)
- Technical interview
- Culture Contribution interview
To get started, complete this application, including answers to the questions on the next page. We read every single application, and your responses to our application questions help put your experience into context.
ConvertKit is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity in all of its forms, and we hire the best person we can for each role, no matter your personal background. Research tells us that applicants who are female or non-binary, as well as applicants who are people of color, are less likely to apply for roles they do not feel 100% qualified for. If you think you meet more than 50% of our requirements but fewer than 100% of them, please apply. We’re imperfect communicators, so think of our job postings as the starting point for discussion rather than proof that you shouldn’t apply.
Here’s the SQL script that created this job description and finds the right candidates
JD.company_descr, JD.role_descr, JD.responsibilities
,JD.requirements, JD.benefitsJD.sql JD.how_to_apply, JD.app_questions
LEFT_JOIN on job_candidates JC on JD.id = JC.job_description_id
JD.description = ‘senior_analytics_engineer’
AND JD.personality = ‘western’
AND JC.attribute_humor = 1 AND JC.skill_r = 1 AND C.skill_sql = 1
AND JC.attribute_trilingual = 1