Remote Senior Backend Engineer at a remote seed startup
Secfix (Remote) 🇺🇦
Secfix automates security compliance for SMBs in Europe. We help companies get and stay compliant with standards such as ISO 27001, GDPR, TISAX, and SOC 2 in weeks rather than months.
Our platform integrates with a company’s tech stack (such as GCP, AWS, Azure, Google Workspaces, Jira, Gitlab, etc.), automatically extracts the data needed for compliance, and creates a checklist to become and remain certified. Our fastest customer finished their certification in 4 weeks instead of 12+ months, typically seen from older institutions.
We raised pre-seed funding from top German angel investors and recently closed our seed round from leading UK and German VCs after impressive growth. Now, the goal (with your help) is to become the market leader.
About the role:
Preferred experience & culture:
- You love iterating and taking pride in owning customer-facing features from ideas to going live and strive for great visuals and usability.
- You are a team player and communicate with other members and set up calls with customers if necessary to get feedback directly.
- You have 7+ years of experience as back-end engineer
- Strong object-oriented programming fundamentals working with either Node.js, Nest.js or Java. Experience working with TypeScript for 3+ years in back-end development. We don’t expect you to have a background in every technology we use but you are able to learn quickly on your own.
- Experience with Golang are a plus
- In our current growth stage, we want to achieve a lot with a small team. Priorities can change fast. Hence you are a strong believer that hard work and flexibility are qualities that an early startup employee should live by. You can pick up a customer problem, define it, and work on it.
- You love speed and have high standards in writing clean, maintainable, and testable code.
- You have 3+ years of experience in a fast-paced tech environment, startup, or scale-up where engineers wear multiple hats and define the products together with users.
- You are a force multiplier for your team. You always catch up with new back-end trends, love building reusable components, and helping other engineers become better day by day.
- You can communicate and structure your thoughts well both inside and outside of your team to ensure we ship products in time without getting lost in details.
- You have experience in mentoring junior developers or leading a small team.
- You have experience in working and improving remote team culture.
- You’ll design, develop, and maintain new user-facing features using Nest.js
- You’ll help out, debug and support our clients looking into the code of our legacy API in Java
- You’ll contribute to new and existing products by shaping features with product and design teams.
- You’ll help build monitoring services for our customer’s infrastructure and cloud environments (AWS, GCP, Azure, Digital Ocean, etc)
- You’ll help to design and develop event-driven microservices
- You’ll mentor and develop junior engineers to help them become expert Secfixers
- You’ll keep learning new technologies to improve our product and will structure complex product in simple deliverables
- You’ll redefine best-in-class software development processes so that we can build an opinionated product for the European SMB market.
- You’ll work closely with founders, tech lead, other team members, and users to ship features on schedule
- Java Springboot, Node Nest.js, Postgres, and RDS as backend
- Hosted on AWS with ECS, EKS
- Gitlab, Slack, Notion, Gather.town for communication and documentation
- Clickup for project management
- Design system with Bootstrap Angular component library
We are very proud of our Secfix values - and look for candidates who share them. They are:
- We are obsessed with our customers. We start with the customer and work our way backward to create amazing products they love.
- We build everything in a smart way. We love working by YCombinator's principles and preach those to our team.
- We create trust within our organisation. Transparency and ethics are within our DNA.
- We are hacky. A functional prototype delivered within 2 weeks is worth more than a perfect solution delivered in 2 months.
- We take ownership. Building a startup is about ownership and being accountable for timely delivery.
- We are leaders of remote work. We are passionately building a culture where people can be productive working from anywhere.
Benefits you get at Secfix:
- We are backed by top VCs and accelerators. Get direct access to world-class mentors.
- Industry-competitive base salary and generous equity package. We pay local rates that are at or above the market. We share this philosophy with GitLab.
- Secfix is run by international founders in Germany. We can help you move to Germany and get a visa or just hire you locally with our partner Deel. And we have a track record! Our Customer Success Manager moved to Germany from Brazil and our Account Executive from LA.
- Receive the latest tech equipment (MacBook, monitors, headphones)
- Health insurance
- Remote Workspace budget to make your home office great
- Access to co-working around the world
- Flexible Work Hours and Location
- 26 vacation days per year, in addition to local Public Holidays
- 100% remote work - enhanced by our virtual office in Gather
- Virtual and on-site Team Building Activities, Lunch and Learns, and other Company-Wide Events
- A Personal Development Budget of 1,000 EUR per year - available for whatever you wish to support your health and fitness, mental health, and learning & development
- Have more ideas for perks? You can make them a reality at Secfix 🙂
- 30 min - Screen/intro call with our recruiter
- 45 min - Chat with our Co-founder
- 1,5h - Tech Interview with a live coding challenge
- 1,5h - Final interview with team & Co-Founders
Please note: We are an equal-opportunity employer and remote-only company. At this time, we can support hiring only within EU time zones. We work in sync using Gather as our virtual office. As a small fast-growing company, we believe in the need for an in-sync component of daily communication and therefore cannot support any 100% asynchronous work. Read more about our Remote Culture here.