Remote Senior Backend Growth Engineer
Toggl (Remote) 🇺🇦
We are looking for an experienced Senior Backend Engineer to be a part of one of our cross-functional teams to help us shape the future of the time tracking industry and deliver real value to our customers with both new and improved features.
The salary for this position is €70,000 annually.
You can work from anywhere in the world.
About the Team
We are a global team of 100+ awesome people working from over 40 countries around the globe. We hire globally, you work locally—in the heart of London, a beach outside of São Paulo, or a quiet village near Florence, the choice is yours. Every few months we travel to meet up somewhere in the world and spend some quality time together. We place a huge amount of trust in our people, and we measure the outcomes rather than the work itself. Our values fuel our results.
As a Senior Backend Growth Engineer, you will be taking ownership of Growth team product domain and work in close collaboration with owners and engineers of other key domains, while supporting your team with engineering knowledge. Majority of your work will be by supporting experiments (i.e. A/B testing pre-existing or new features).
Your main responsibilities will be:
- collaborate on the development and maintenance of some of our backend services including reports, payments, and operations tools that manage our product and logistics worldwide.
- Closely collaborating with product managers and designers, on a day-to-day basis, on discovery and technical analysis level and supporting fellow engineers.
- working with multiple cross-functional teams to understand problems and implement solutions.
- designing, breaking down, and completing projects of a small to medium scope with high-level productivity.
- leading projects with a small group of people, such as hosting weekly meetings, communicating with other partners and stakeholders.
We would love to hear from you if you are comfortable with technical, cross functional communication and strive to solve technical problems of high scope and complexity and have long-standing experience programming in Go.
In particular, we are looking for:
- Strong backend engineering experience in Go;
- Significant professional experience with distributed systems, PostgreSQL and Google Cloud Infrastructure;
- Experience with software engineering best practices (e.g. unit testing, code reviews, design documentation);
- Experience with performance and optimisation problems, particularly at large scale, and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems;
- Ability to work cross-teams and improve cross-functional relationships which will facilitate ongoing projects;
- Mentor and grow junior engineers;
- Ability to give on-point and actionable feedback to peers;
- Collaborate across the company to define, design, build and improve our product;
- Experience in technical communication and the ability to communicate complex technical problems to non-technical stakeholders (like Sales, Marketing, Support, etc);
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple small-sized projects simultaneously, with a focus on delivering results in small (weekly) cycles.
- Knowledge of experimental design methodologies, such as A/B testing, and ability to design and implement experiments to drive growth;
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal, is required for success in a remote and largely asynchronous work environment.
Bonus points for:
- Having full-stack experience;
- Understanding of customer behavior, needs, and motivations and ability to use this information to inform experiment design;
- Ability to generate new and unique ideas for growth experiments and a willingness to take calculated risks;
- Experience with best practices in Agile Software Development;
- Eagerness to make contributions to improve the engineering team. For example, activities like interviewing, or mentoring;
- Freedom to choose when and how much you work - we only measure results
- 24 days of paid time off a year, plus your local holidays
- In-person meetups for team-building (expenses covered)
- 4-6 weeks paid sabbatical (depending on the tenure)
- Laptop budget up to €2,500 and it renews every 3 years
- €2,000 budget to set up your home office, and additional €300 every year after 3 years of tenure
- €250 per month for co-working space membership and/or internet service at home
- €4,000 per year contribution to use for training, workshops, and conferences
- €2,000 per year contribution for any equipment or services to improve and/or maintain your physical and mental health
- Support for buying tools you need for doing your best work (even eyeglasses if you need a new pair)