Here at Playco, we make games that bring the world closer together through play!
Our ideal teammates are thoughtful, low ego, and hardworking professionals who can both zoom into the details and zoom out to embrace the big picture. We are passionate about makers and tinkerers, who are unafraid to experiment with a healthy disregard for constraints. We hope you'll enrich our team with your enthusiasm and passion, both for games and for life.
About this Role
Playco is seeking a seasoned attorney to join as the fifth member of our Legal team and be the lead attorney for commercial and corporate issues. You will work closely with teams across Playco to advise on various legal issues and help craft, implement and maintain processes and tools that support our commercial and corporate legal operations. Success will require the application of a complex, evolving and global legal framework to new and innovative platforms across our games. This is a rare opportunity to work on groundbreaking issues in a dynamic start-up environment where your work will have a direct impact on our business. If you are a can-do and collaborative team player, this could be a great fit for you!
- Advise operations, corporate and business development, marketing, HR, IT, Customer Support, and other teams on a full range of issues related to commercial contracting, and commercialization, including compliance with US and international laws and platform partners’ terms of service.
- Provide commercial contracting support (including leading negotiations) for various agreements including: NDAs, day-to-day operational agreements, terms of service, platform partner agreements, marketing agreements, data agreements, complex business development deals, employment agreements. Also create and maintain form agreements.
- Play a leadership role in working with business and legal partners to identify, design, and implement pragmatic processes and improvements for risk management, including contract management, intellectual property protection, and other business partner processes.
- Stay up-to-date and keep the team advised on U.S. and international laws and regulations.
- Research complex and nuanced legal issues; create, update and maintain actionable guidelines; and conduct effective legal training.
- Corporate Governance and Corporate Development support as needed.
- Support the General Counsel directly on commercial and corporate matters and other areas of law as needed.
- Act as a utility player and work across a variety of projects and teams.
- Level and title commensurate with experience.
- Strong academic credentials and active membership in a state bar, preferably California or New York.
- A minimum of 7 years of combined relevant experience in a law firm, government agencies, and/or in-house legal department, preferably working with technology, gaming, SaaS, and online companies.
- Solid experience in commercial contracts and building out processes to support active and growing international teams.
- Solid experience advising on general legal and regulatory issues in the technology space and experience advising on social media/communications platforms. Gaming experience is a plus.
- Familiarity with a variety of US/global Internet transactional, regulatory, policy, legal and product development issues related to consumer protection in the digital space.
- Corporate governance and corporate development experience.
- Demonstrated experience in providing sound and practical business and legal judgment, combined with the ability to think strategically and balance risk vs reward appropriately.
- Ability to work with senior executives, clients and co-workers in a professional, approachable, and positive manner.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Eagerness to roll up your sleeves and get in the weeds, a go getter.
- Embraces a global perspective - we are a global company with a global presence!
- Professional but fun demeanor (we are in gaming after all!).
- Defaults to teamwork and collaboration - partnering across the organization and with external partners is critical to success.
- Flexible and creative - we do things differently and move quickly - this needs to be energizing and seen as a challenge, rather than frustrating.
- Values and is good at, creating and maintaining effective process, organization, and documentation.
- Language skills, particularly Japanese.
Playco is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, disability, genetic information, age, military service, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We believe that our differences are our strength and we know that diversity builds a better team.