SessionLab is the leading platform for workshop facilitation and process design. Our mission is to empower people to create change. We do that by building technology that enables better facilitation. More than 100.000 professionals are using our Software-as-a-Service product to design and deliver meaningful workshops. And they love it!
As SessionLab is on its way to becoming a mature UX-centered organization, we are looking for a Senior Product Designer to help us create delightful experiences for our customers.
You’ll be our main designer, working with our CTO, CEO, product manager, developers, and our current part-time designer to take our product UX and design to the next level. You will be participating in all stages of the design process and will have a real impact on the product.
We are a bootstrapped and profitable software business, headquartered in Tallinn, Estonia, with a fully remote 12-person team all across Europe. Therefore, we are looking for somebody who is self-motivated, independent, and comfortable working in a fully remote environment.
What we are looking for
- You have experience designing modern web applications.
- You are a generalist with a wide set of design skills including user experience design, user interface design, and information design (the order we’ve listed these skills here indicates our priorities).
- You understand technical constraints, and their impact, and can adjust your design approach accordingly. You enjoy the problem-solving aspects of complex design challenges.
- You are able to break down complex new designs into smaller design improvements that can be applied gradually instead of having one big release.
- You seek to take on responsibilities and take ownership of the work you do.
- You thrive working independently, but also enjoy collaborating with people from different disciplines and you always try to look at the big picture.
- You are good at communicating with people from various backgrounds (e.g. developers, marketers, end-users).
- You are able to navigate the entire product development process, from discovery through to delivery and monitoring of the implemented solution.
- You are an expert at creating prototypes with Figma, testing them with users, and using them as part of the specs for the developers.
- You have first-hand experience facilitating workshops.
- You have experience working remotely.
- You are based within the time zones of UTC-3 to UTC+3.
Advantages (not a must but a big plus):
- Previous experience with SaaS products and working in small startups.
- Experience working closely with product managers and product owners - i.e. you are interested in taking ownership of a complete product.
- UX copywriting experience.
What will I be doing?
To give you an honest perspective of where we are now:
In the early years, we built SessionLab without an experienced designer on our team.
During the past year, we started to gradually decrease our design debt and improve the UX with our first designer on the team, and there is a lot more we want to improve. (We are currently in the middle of revamping our design system to a fresher look.)
We’re looking for someone to take ownership of our product design and make sure that we ship consistently good UX to our customers as we build the product further and continue our redesign efforts.
In more practical terms:
- Collaboratively develop, implement and lead an effective design process.
- Continue our redesign efforts with the goal of building a fresh UX and modern UI.
- Conduct user research to gain a good understanding of our users.
- Work with our CTO, developers and product owner to create elegant and thoughtful designs based on user needs and technical constraints.
- Design new features and improve the overall UX of the application.
- Develop coherent visual and design guidelines.
Why is this great for me?
- Opportunity to get involved early in building and scaling a digital product. As the main designer on the team, you will take the lead and full overview of our design process.
- Your role and responsibility will grow as our company grows.
- Work remotely and create your own schedule (we believe in trust and autonomy)
- A stable working environment that values work-life balance
- Motivated co-workers
- You will also have a chance to travel a couple of times per year to live company meetings.
- An open-minded working culture where we encourage sharing opinions and feedback.
The compensation range for this role is between €65,000 to €110,000 annually on a B2B contract or matching gross salary as an employee (official employment status only available in certain countries). The actual compensation offered to a successful candidate will be based on relative experience and skills.
The compensation includes paid holiday days according to your country of residence (but a minimum of 20 days) plus your local holidays as paid time off, and additional remote working stipend or home office setup support.
An outline of what to expect from the application process.
- Fill in and submit the application form – we will try to get back to you within 2 working days, but sometimes it might take slightly longer.
- A short (up to 30-minute) non-technical video interview. (There will be no design assignment here, just a chat with either our product manager or our co-founder.)
- A hands-on design interview (60-minute video call).
- The final candidate(s) are invited to a paid take-home project work. (A design project with a tangible deliverable that can be completed with overall ~10 hours of work over the duration of 1-2 weeks. You will develop a solution for a real-life challenge and collaborate with our team over email/Slack/video).
- If all goes well, we will make you an offer and if you accept, welcome you to our team!