*Currently, PDQ employees can live in any of the following US states: AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IL, IN, KY, MD, MI, MN, MO, NC, NH, OK, OR, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI.
PDQ, founded in Salt Lake City, UT, makes device management simple, secure, and Pretty Damn Quick. IT teams use our products to reduce complexity, improve efficiency, and enhance control in their unique environments. We are backed by TA Associates, a top-tier global PE fund. SimpleMDM and SmartDeploy are powered by PDQ.com.
PDQ Engineering is seeking an experienced Staff Software Engineer to assist in the creation of an easily integrated platform for building and expanding PDQ’s IT products. You'll be working on a new greenfield project designed to give PDQ a leading edge in software purchasing and licensing. It will be built to be extensible, supporting a growing suite of products and creating an amazing onboarding experience for our new customers. You will be responsible for architecting and delivering resilient backend systems and beautiful user experience workflows.
Technologies we currently use: Elixir, Phoenix Framework, Rust, TypeScript, C#, Postgres, Stripe, Kubernetes, GCP, Git. Choosing the right technology stack for the job is part of this role, possibly including data stream, message queue or workflow orchestration technologies (e.g., Kafka, Pulsar, Temporal, etc.)
How you might spend your way:
- Architect, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and improve software
- Design and build complex workflows into elegantly simple and reliable backend systems
- Work within CI/CD to deliver code often
- Work across the entire technology stack, from code to infrastructure
- Collaborate with teams to deliver on project priorities within deadlines
- Own the technical leadership spectrum including security, maintenance, bug, incidents, etc.
- Identify, examine, demonstrate, and teach new technologies to the rest of the department
- Conduct research, learn programming languages/frameworks we use (e.g. Elixir/Phoenix, Rust TypeScript/React, and more), and prototype efforts with autonomy
- Exchange frank, constructive code reviews with your peers.
- Collaborate with UX designers to improve the fit-for-purpose of products
- Mentor other software engineers and encourage team-wide improvement
- Refine development deployment pipelines and processes to ensure reliability and efficiency
Who you are:
- Passionate about delivering business value by applying your engineering skills
- Experience architecting and building clean and simple solutions for backend systems at scale
- Possess strong analytic, technical, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to communicate effectively through written or verbal medium
- Strong experience with SQL, data, and managing database migrations
- Experience building / consuming APIs and services using REST, etc.
- Knowledge of Git and Git flow version control
- Defensive security strategies for both client and server-side web systems
- Strong ability to create architecture diagrams, specifications, and other analyses from user requirements
- Experience with containerization creation, use, and deployment strategies
- Expert debugging skills and pragmatic design experience
- Experience with test-driven development and automated testing frameworks
- Ability to read code and quickly make sense of an unfamiliar codebase
- Ability to understand a problem space and make code changes safely
We're looking for people who have:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, a related degree, or equivalent experience
- Strong experience designing resilient backend web systems
- Experience integrating with payment processor APIs , such as Stripe, Chargebee, Braintree, etc.
- 6+ years of experience working on a variety of professional software development projects
- Agile development experience
- Ability to work with, modify, and improve CI/CD automation technologies, such as GitHub Actions, Jenkins, Codefresh, Kubernetes, Docker, etc.
- Experience engaging with open source projects and communities
*Do you think you have what it takes but don’t necessarily meet all the requirements? Apply anyway - you could be exactly who we are looking for!
PDQ offers all of the great perks and benefits you'd expect from working at a very cool tech company, and even some you might not expect, including:
- 4-Day Work Week
- Managers who are supportive and technically experienced (the best kind of experience)
- 100% Premium Coverage for medical, dental and vision (yes, for you and your immediate family members)
- 100% Premium Coverage for Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Life, and AD&D Insurance
- Company match of the first 6% of your employee deferrals
- Paid Time Off Policy (Flexible) that treats you like the adult that you are
PDQ is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic information, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, state, or local law. If you would like to request reasonable accommodation for a medical condition or disability during any part of the application process, please contact job-NsGBtRoAMNk@gainful.io.